Friday, June 25, 2010

Teaching is a Vocation

Teaching in a public school is a journey and it depends on the person how he takes the journey as he strides along.

I have been teaching for three years now and every year is different from the other in terms of experiences. My first year was full of apprehensions because I got used to the private school 'way' of handling the classroom problems where almost your every entire move involves money. It was hard but the parents of the children I was teaching were very supportive although they criticize to high heavens as well. It was a humbling experience and I have learned a lot as well.
Last year was good too because I was able to adjust and I became more confident in dealing with my colleagues and the kids’ parents. There were hardships but everything was resolved with the help of my bosses. I have a feeling that this year will be better than the previous years because I think I was able to grasp what it takes to be a teacher.

Teaching in a public school in the Philippines is hard and the area that I am assigned to involves poor people. Every year I encounter families who do not have the resources to send their children to school so they prefer not to enroll their children in preschool instead. When you think about it, it’s really disheartening since preschool education is the most vital phase in a child’s life since that is how they will learn to socialize and do stuffs that will boost their self esteem.

This year, I have a pupil who goes to school with tattered clothes, and I am telling you now that your heart will break when you see him. I always encourage the child to take a bath and gave him some of my son’s clothes so he can wear decent ones. You see, I see the potential with the child so I always tell him and his elder siblings not to be absent in school because he is a smart child. I offered to pay for his books but I haven’t met the child’s mother yet. See, that’s part of being a teacher, it’s not always about paychecks – it is really a vocation. Meet the child I was talking about with his “new” clothes, he put it on the moment I handed it to him. He was ecstatic.

No comments: